Carrollton Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched 1709 Friday 15 November 2013 to a reported "head on collision, two vehicles" near Benn's Church, Virginia, on Brewers Neck Blvd. at Queen Anne's Court. Carrollton VFD units Squad-10, Quint-10 and Chief-10 responded immediately and arrived to find a lateral collision, minor damage to both vehicles and no injuries. Q-10 protected the scene while Fire Chief J. Acree and the S-10 crew confirmed patient status as Isle of Wight Sheriff's Officers conducted recording, investigation and reporting procedures. All occupants of the two vehicles refused medical care and the Q-10 crew assisted with vehicle recovery operations. All Carrollton VFD units were available by 1810.

Local history note: "Benn's Church" is not a town but a federal government "census-designated place" (CDP) in Isle of Wight County. A U.S. Post Office was established here in the mid-nineteenth century making "Benns Church, Virginia" a rural delivery address for about 100 years. It is named for George Benn who bequeathed the land in 1813 to the Methodist congregation that had been meeting here since 1789. The church was originally organized on the grounds of the venerable "Old Brick Church" (St. Luke's Anglican) when all English churches were disestablished as a result of the colonial victory in the American Revolution. The present Benn's United Methodist Church sanctuary building was constructed in 1924 and the cemetery for the church is adjacent to St. Luke's graveyard. But George Benn himself (1764-1815) rests in a solitary grave in front of the present building on State Route-10 now named Benn's Church Boulevard to commemorate his generous bequest 200 years ago.

  Viewed Counter