A WET, WINDY AND BUSY 24 HOURS for Carrollton Volunteer FD            31 January 2013

January 31st was not just the last day of the month for Carrollton Volunteer Fire Department but ended up as one of our busiest 24 hours. Seven emergency dispatches today resulted in a total of 102 calls in the first month of 2013.
First dispatch at 0103 was to a reported "transformer fire" near New Towne Haven Lane that was discovered to be power lines down along Route 32 across from Knox Automotive. Engine-10 and Rescue-10 crews secured the scene and put out several small grass fires caused by resulting sparks. "Hurricane force" winds were reported by local media at the time of this incident.

Second call at 0141 was in the middle of torrential rains as well as high winds that caused a huge pine tree branch to fall onto a residence along Reynolds Road. Engine-10 crew found the home structurally damaged and taking in water. Ground ladders were used to access the hole in the roof and tarps were secured to deflect the pouring and driving rain. Carrollton VFD Volunteers remained on scene for several hours to assist the homeowners in securing the structure.
The third and fourth responses were at 0929 and 1121, the first for a "back pain" complaint on Brewers Neck Blvd. in which our BLS crew in Squad-10 transported the patient to Obici Hospital ER and the second for a "difficulty breathing" call at Sentara St. Lukes. Our ALS crew in Medic-11 also transported this patient to Obici ER.

At 1149, the fifth dispatch called for assistance to Rushmere VFD at a residential structure fire on Track Lane in northern Hardy District. Engine-10 arrived for mutual aide along with Smithfield VFD, Isle of Wight VRS and Isle of Wight Emergency Services personnel. E-10 crew remained on scene to assist until all overhaul operations were complete. Full Story Click Here

Sixth dispatch came at 1355 for an "obstetrics" call on Blue Heron Trail and our ALS crew in Squad-10 transported the patient to Obici Hospital in Suffolk.
The seventh and final response of the day occurred during the fire department s regular monthly business meeting. A "walk in" patient complaining of sickness was also transported to Obici ER by a Carrollton volunteer BLS crew in Squad-10.
A special thanks to all the numerous Carrollton VFD volunteers (and also the county ES technician) who made up the various crews who responded to all of these rescue and fire calls and who contributed significantly to the health, safety and well being of the residents of our response district and nearby mutual aide districts.

  Viewed Counter