Carrollton Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched 1856 Sunday 12 February 2012 "automatic aid" to a reported house fire on Scotts Factory Road in the Smithfield VFD first-response district. 911 calls described smoke and flames coming from the rear of the structure. Carrollton VFD units Engine-10, Quint-10 and Tanker-10 responded. Smithfield VFD Assistant Chief Chris Edwards was first on scene at 1901, reported heavy smoke and flames showing, assumed Incident Command (IC) and requested additional tanker units because the residence was located in a rural, non-hydranted area. SVFD Engine-51 arrived at 1903 and the crew immediately initiated an aggressive fire attack with hand lines. CVFD E-10 arrived four minutes later, began water supply to E-51 and the E-10 crew was assigned to ventilation operations on the "B" side roof of the home. SVFD units Engine-53 and Rescue-50 as well as CVFD Q-10 arrived and the crews assisted with the internal fire attack and other ongoing fire suppression operations. CVFD Chief Joel Acree in T-10 arrived, assumed command of water supply operations and laid large capacity supply lines to E-53. Chuckatuck VFD Tanker-9 and Windsor VFD Tanker-40 also arrived on scene shortly after to assist with water supply. Isle of Wight VRS Medic-63 provided rehabilitation services for crews on the fireground. By the second 20 minute benchmark, IC had requested the deployment of Community Electric to secure power supply, the county building inspector to assess structural damage and the American Red Cross to provide temporary shelter for the occupants. The fire was reported under control by 2013 and at 2025 VDOT was asked to initiate sanding and salting operations along Scotts Factory Road due to freezing weather conditions. By 2301 Command was terminated, units from Stations 9, 10, 40, 50 and 60 were cleared and control was returned to the homeowner.

Image 1

Note: During this incident, Chuckatuck VFD provided Engine-9 and crew mutual aid to establish a landing zone at IWVRS Station-60 in Smithfield for air ambulance evacuation of a pediatric trauma patient under the care of IWVRS Chief Brian Carroll. Mutual aid was necessary because the ongoing structure fire on Scotts Factory Road required the deployment of almost all operational fire fighting units and crews available in northern Isle of Wight County. This was an excellent example of the close professional working relationships among volunteer fire departments in Isle of Wight County and northern Suffolk.

Local History Note: Scott's Factory Road is named for a large cotton mill and garment manufactory built in 1828 by James Scott. This was the first known attempt at large commercial manufacturing in Isle of Wight County. The heavy machinery needed for the mill was hauled by sixteen teams of oxen from the port of Smithfield having been delivered by steamship. "Scott's Factory" was established near Mackie's Mill dam on Champion Swamp Creek to provide the water power for the milling machinery. (A half century previous, in 1781, Mackie's Mill had been the scene of Revolutionary War combat when the Isle of Wight County Militia under Colonel Josiah Parker was defeated by British and Hessian regulars commanded by the infamous Colonel Banestre Tarleton.) Scott's Factory operated until just after the War Between The States when cotton was replaced by peanut processing as Smithfield's major export. (Smithfield then became known as the "Peanut Capital of World" until the industry burned to the ground in a disastrous fire in 1920.) The large brick Scott's Factory building was later demolished and provided the bricks in 1937 to construct the former county records building and the wall around the courthouse complex. Scotts Factory is also presumed to be part of the inspiration for the popularity of "clerestory" architecture reflected in several local historic homes like the ca. 1840 "Carroll House" on Norseworthy Drive. This former store and post office built by Samuel Carroll is the origin of the name "Carrollton" which became the mailing address for northeastern Isle of Wight County in 1878.

Image 2
  Viewed Counter